Reporting scope and boundary
This report covers the 2013 financial year (1 January 2013 to 31 December 2013) and should be read in conjunction with our Integrated report and financial statements 2013 as well as Sharing our sustainable future. Our previous report was published in 2013 for the financial year 1 January 2012 to 31 December 2012.
Our acquisitions of Nordenia and the Duropack corrugated packaging plants in Germany and the Czech Republic in 2012 are being integrated and aligned with Mondi’s standards and requirements and their full reporting will be integrated into our 2014 reports.
In terms of the performance data in our reports, the following should be noted:
- Key performance data throughout Sharing our sustainable future is provided for context only, and our full performance is available here in our Sustainable development report.
- No material restatements have been made to data in this report and the reported data remains comparable with last year’s data.
- No significant changes from previous reporting periods in the scope, boundary, or measurement methods were applied in the report this year.
- Lindlar, our Consumer Goods Packaging operation in Germany, was closed in 2013.
- Our environmental performance covers our material and converting operations, unless stated otherwise. See our glossary of terms for operational and reporting definitions. Environmental data includes the performance of our 2012 acquisitions.
- Safety data includes all employees and contractors, but excludes service suppliers such as catering, office cleaning or telecommunications services and management consultants. Safety data also excludes the performance of our 2012 acquisitions.
- Financial information is reported in euros (€), for ease of reading and to allow comparisons. Figures are based on the conversion rate at the end of December 2013.
- Where we have reported wood volumes in m³, this figure reflects Solid Cubic Metres (SCM).
This report focuses on those sustainability issues that we have determined to be of most importance to us and to our stakeholders. We believe that external assurance plays an important part in the way we work and that it provides stakeholders with assurance in respect of our performance. Environmental Resources Management Certification and Verification Services (ERM CVS) provided limited assurance on selected key performance indicators that we report, on the status of compliance of the report with GRI G3 guidelines to level B+ and verification of greenhouse gas (GHG) data in accordance with ISO 14064 to reasonable (material operations) and limited (converting operations) levels of assurance. Deloitte, our appointed statutory auditors, provided an unqualified audit opinion on our financial statements.
We report our GHG emissions according to the GHG Protocol, published by the World Business Council for Sustainable Development and the World Resources Institute.